I love tacos. Who doesn’t? I love tacos with fish, carnitas and even lengua. But there’s something about chorizo tacos with scrambled eggs that just transcends every other type of taco. Slightly greasy, it’s the perfect hangover food. Avocado jalapeño sauce brightens it up, and the toasted tortilla adds a satisfying crunch. A little queso fresco sprinkled on top seals the deal.
The best thing about tacos is that you can add any toppings that strike your fancy. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Pickled red onions
- Spicy salsa
- Sliced radishes
- Jalapeño slices
- Cabbage slaw
- Fresh diced white onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Adobo sauce
- Avocado chunks
- … and of course, a squeeze of lime
I just used pickled onions, avocado cilantro sauce and cheese on my tacos, but don’t be afraid to get creative with the leftovers in your fridge. Cabbage keeps FOREVER and is perfect on tacos. Hat tip to Pinch of Yum for the inspiration for the sauce!
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Avocado Jalapeño Dressing
For the dressing
- ½ an avocado
- 1 cup cilantro, leaves and stems
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water, more if needed
- ½ a jalapeño, seeds removed
- Squeeze of lime
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
For the tacos
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 9 ounces pork or beef chorizo
- 1 package corn tortillas
- Queso fresco
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Other toppings as desired
- Combine all dressing ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cook chorizo for 5 minutes over medium heat. (You might need to add a little oil to the pan before cooking if chorizo is dry.)
- While chorizo is cooking, heat tortillas over flame on gas burners turned to low, or heat in oven set to 375°F until they have reached desired level of crispiness. I heat mine on my gas burners until they’re slightly charred in places.
- Turn chorizo pan to low and push to one side of the pan. Add eggs and cook through, about 5 more minutes.
- Spoon chorizo mixture into tortillas. Add desired toppings, then avocado sauce. Finish with cheese and serve with lime wedges.