When fall sets in, I make it my personal mission to consume as much squash as humanly possible. So starting the day with pumpkin is a no-brainer. This bowl is basically half pumpkin and half oats – I don’t mess around. Warming spices amp up the pie flavor, and pecans add a satisfying crunch. With oatmeal, the options are endless: You could add baked apples, maple syrup, cream, a dash of vanilla. Listen to your stomach!
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- Dash of salt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup candied pecans, chopped
- Bring water and salt to boil in saucepan.
- Add oats, reduce to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pumpkin and cook for 5 more minutes.
- When oatmeal has reached desired consistency, add sugar and spices, stirring well. Serve and top with nuts.