I’ve been on a green onion kick lately, so I’m constantly trying to find new uses for the delicious green stems. And what goes better with onions than cheddar? Not much that I can think of. Mustard adds a wee kick to the eggs, and gives the cheese a flavor boost. While this omelette is delicious with just a cheese filling, you can’t go wrong by adding mushrooms, bacon, spinach or apples.
White Cheddar Omelette
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Garlic salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 green onion stalk, chopped fine
- Sauteed mushrooms, spinach, cooked bacon or cooked apples
- Whisk eggs and mustard in small bowl while butter melts over low in 8-inch saucepan. As butter melts, lift and turn the pan to ensure butter coats sides and bottom of pan.
- Pour egg mixture into pan, cover, and cook on low until eggs are nearly set, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, cheese and any other desired toppings on eggs and lift one side of eggs with a spatula, carefully folding eggs in half. Cover and cook until eggs puff up, about 1 minute on each side.
- Carefully remove from pan and top with green onions.